Cabbage Patch Kids were all the rage back when most of us were kids, so it’s no wonder the mothers of today are falling in love with Cabbage Patch Kid-Inspired Hats! Not only have they sold out on Amazon, you can even purchase crochet patterns online for about $5 plus the cost of the materials.
Turns out, they’re not hard to make yourself if you ever feel the impulse to make a real human baby look more like the beloved doll. With these steps, you’ll be on the way to making your own without having to spend a ton of money, and have much more DIY-style fun.
Here’s what you’ll need:
Yarn in the hair color of your choice
6mm crochet hook
Scissors and Safety pins
One adorable baby! 🙂
- Using the yarn of your choice, start by crocheting a basic beanie as your base. About has an awesome tutorial for this step.
- Make the bangs by using a loop stitch for the 3 rows at the bottom of the beanie. Check out this YouTube tutorial for instructions on creating a loop stitch.
- To make the braided pigtails, begin by cutting 19 pieces of yarn approximately 16 inches in length, twice (one for each braid). You can even get more creative and use another style of hair!
- Fold the pieces of yarn in half and tie a knot in the center.
- Divide the yarn into threes and braid, using a small piece of yarn to tie off the bottom of the braid. Repeat for each braid.
- Test out the placement of the braids by attaching them to the hat using safety pins.
- Once you have the braids where you’d like, attach the braids to the beanie by stitching them to the hat. Just make sure it’s even!
- Lastly, add a ribbon bow atop each pigtail.
These Cabbage Patch Kids-Inspired hats are beyond cute. Make one today for your favorite chubby-cheeked baby!